Sunday, October 16, 2011

those damn tonsils...

I was really hoping to be well over tonsillectomy recovery by now, but that wasn't in the cards for me. It was as if someone had set a timer for exactly two weeks post-op that I would have another bleeding experience (exactly 1 week after the 1st post-op bleeding)! The bleeding started in the wee hours again and off we went to the ER -- this time at my Doctor's request.

I spent the first hour in the ER waiting for a room and spitting up leftover blood into a beer cup that we picked up in Ocean City this summer. Sadly, the ER was busy, and I was already familiar with the check in process. So familiar that the staff recognized me as the lady that was just there last week for the same problem.

While I sat in the ER, certain that the bleeding had stopped, a room became available for me. As I heard my name being called, the bleeding started up again and I found myself spending the next hour vomiting blood and preparing for another surgery. I can't remember the last time I had felt so defeated. I was expecting to already be fully recovered and there I was, frightened about what would be my third round of anesthesia in a two week period.

Today I'm nearly three weeks post-op. All of the pain and bleeding (knock on wood) has stopped and I've been given the okay to eat anything I want. Problem is I now have yeast growing on my tongue as a result of the surgery and medication. Talk about being let down! I've been so hungry these past few weeks and now that I can finally eat, I can't taste sh*t. Wonderful.






1 comment:

  1. I feel so bad for you, Sara. It seems like a never ending nightmare! My tonsils were extracted back when I was 5 and I don't remember going through all that. Ofcourse, I'm getting so old, I don't remember a lot from that period of my life. I do remember Ice Cream being my means to soothe the pain. I hope you can put this all behind you now...

    ReplyDelete