Monday, September 12, 2011

Over the weekend we successfully threw our princess a 4th birthday party. My original plan was to keep things very simple and small since we're heading to Disney to celebrate. So what was originally slated for a little gathering of neighborhood friends over cupcakes and a moon bounce got nixed by Hurricane Irene. Rescheduling proved to be easy as it happened that my hubby freed a full Saturday up from his busy photography schedule. (That rarely happens!) The giddy party planner in me went to work and our gathering quickly turned into a 50 person princess and knight themed bash equipped with tiaras and swords.




As much as I love planning down to the very last minute, I have to admit that I was overwhelmed an hour before the party. My parents are usually here to help cook and watch the kids while I prep and while my hubby is running around picking up cupcakes, booze (yes, we like to get in on the partying too!)and balloons. But it all came together just right. Hubby and I even managed to get in a quick shower before our guests arrived.



The best part was that the weather Gods worked their magic again and the threat of rain and thunder was no longer a worry. It seems that every year on her party day, there is a threat of rain, but we somehow manage to stay dry. It's a good thing because the thought of having to cram 50 people in my house was comical.

We munched on a super yummy artichoke and spinach dip, summer salad, chic fil-a nuggets, and mini sandwiches and cupcakes from Graul's. I found that that only making side dishes helped save on time while adding a personal touch to the food spread. The kids (and a few adults) bounced in the castle until their legs gave out on them and our princess smiled from ear to ear. I couldn't be happier with how the day turned out.


(this spinach & artichoke dip was a big hit. super easy to make and super super yummy. i prepared it the night before and baked for about 40 minutes before the guests arrived. next time i'm adding lump crab meat)

I'm often asked how long I will plan big parties for my kids, and I always say, "for as long as they let me." I know that one day the though of having Mom and Dad hanging around will be uncool. So for now, I want to enjoy all of their friends and friends' parents (who are our friends as well) in one place, celebrating their childhood and life.
Plus, I really really love party planning :)



our little princess



i took a moment to reflect on the fact that she's growing up. bittersweet for me.



best buds. i love that the girls got dressed up as knights AND princesses!



did she have her own moment of reflection?



sword fight!!



who doesn't love to bounce?



my favorite part of the day...

2 comments: